At a recent work meeting, three of us gluten-free folks brought in our favorite GF crackers of the moment. Brought a box of Mediterranean Snacks lentil crackers with rosemary and herbs. Unfortunately, I couldn’t remember where I bought them. Darn. Wandering around Home Goods this week, I found them! Get on over to your local Home Goods (or TJ Maax if you don’t have a Home Goods) and stock up.
Here’s why I like these lentil crackers:
1) the first ingredient is BEAN flour. Not corn. Not white rice flour. Not tapioca. But lentil, garbanzo and adzuki bean flour. Immediately that makes me feel healthy. Carbs with a purpose– protein, fiber! And for you watching total carbs, 1 serving is just 19 g– better (less) than a slice of bread!
2) they are delicious!
3) they go well with cheese!
4) they don’t look like bird food!
5) they don’t taste like bird food!
6) my gluten-heavy friends like them as much as regular crackers.
7) this might bring me one serving of beans closer to the Mediterranean Diet (?)
8) did I mention they are made of beans?! and taste wonderful?!
Ok, so while you’re at Home Goods (I went to the one off of Rt 7 right where I-189 comes in), check out some of the other gluten-free goodies awaiting you. Mediterranean Snacks also makes Baked Lentil Chips, which are also delicious. Today I had chicken salad with chips, but it would also be great with hummus or other snacks! I went out on a limb and tried the cucumber dill flavor and my risk was well-rewarded by their great taste.
Home Goods also has a large display of baking mixes. I wasn’t feeling ambitious enough to try them out on a big baking extravaganza this weekend but let me know if you try them. There were some new brands I haven’t seen before, which can always be a wonderful surprise or a huge bust!
Speaking of busts, I also found these gluten-free biscotti by Coffaro’s. I had to try them since at our work meeting a friend lamented the loss of biscotti in her life. Now, I should be honest– I’m not a huge biscotti or scone fan but I have ones I found really yummy. I got the chocolate chip ones, planning to write a funny and cute blog entry about finding great biscotti at Home Goods. I *cannot* recommend these. I found them very flavorless, as well as “tinny” like there was too much baking soda or something. I haven’t thrown out the rest of the box yet but I likely will soon.